● 1 cup soy milk
● 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
● 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
● 1/3 cup vegetable oil
● 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
● 1 cup all-purpose flour
● 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
● 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
● 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
● 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan bake. Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners (or grease with vegetable oil) & set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk & vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- To this add: sugar, oil & vanilla extract. Whisk until foamy.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder & salt.
- Pour approx. half the dry mix into the wet and stir until just combined.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients, mix until well combined and no large lumps remain (some tiny lumps are fine). Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour mixture into liners, filling each one approx. 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes onto a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Ice and enjoy!
Icing: I usually do a basic dark chocolate hot water icing. To make this, I use a 4:1 ratio of icing sugar to cocoa powder; add in just enough hot water to allow the icing to spread easily, a dash of vanilla, and mix until smooth. You can also add vegan* 100's & 1000's or rainbow sprinkles for a pop of colour!
*Always look out for number E120 (red colouring made from beetles). I've also noticed that some brands coat their sprinkles in beeswax.