· 2 cups wholegrain oats*
· 1 cup oat flour*
· 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
· 1 tsp baking powder*
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
· 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
· 100g chopped dried dates
1. Preheat the oven to 200C fan bake. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place all ingredients into a large bowl; mix well to combine.
3. Shape into 12 cookies (they can be rustic) using damp hands.
4. Place cookies onto the lined baking tray and into the middle rack of the oven. Bake for approximately 15min (until golden).
5. Remove from oven and place cookies on a wire rack to cool before nomming them.
*Use gluten free oats, oat flour and baking powder to make these sans gluten.
The cookies are very lightly sweetened, so for those with a sweet tooth you may wish to substitute some of the applesauce with an equal quantity of date paste, which is sweeter... Experiment to find what works for you!
You can jazz these bad boys up by stirring in some dairy free chocolate chips or by drizzling dark chocolate over them once they have cooled. You can also use whatever dried fruit you like in place of dates, so long as it's pretty sweet. This recipe is quite flexible and reasonably hard to stuff up, so feel free to switch it up.